What Is Strep Throat?
Strep throat is a common bacterial infection that may lead to you having inflammation and pain in your throat. It is characterized by:
- Pain when swallowing
- Swollen tonsils
- Red spots on the back and roof of the mouth
- Body aches
You may have some of these symptoms and still not have strep throat. Our primary care doctors can help you identify strep throat for sure by administering a strep throat test.
What Causes Strep Throat?
The bacteria that causes strep throat is streptococcus pyogenes. It is extremely contagious. You can be exposed to strep throat even if you’re around someone who has it but is showing no symptoms. The bacteria that cause strep throat spread to the air. So if an infected person coughs or sneezes, or you share food or you share a beverage with him, you may catch it.
Our primary care doctors can help diagnose your strep throat, especially if you have symptoms like:
- A sore throat along with swollen lymph nodes
- A sore throat for more than 48 hours
- A fever of over 101°F that lasts for more than 48 hours
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- If your antibiotics are having no effect on your condition
How Strep Throat Is Diagnosed
Your primary care doctor will do a physical exam and will order one or both of the following strep tests:full.
- Rapid Antigen Test: This is the first test your primary care physician will likely perform. It involves a quick swab of the throat that detects strep bacteria by looking for antigens in the throat. If this test is negative, but your doctor still suspects that you have strep, they may order a throat culture.
- Throat Culture: During this procedure, a swab is rubbed over the back of your throat and tonsils. It doesn’t hurt, but it might cause you to gag. The collected sample is cultured in a laboratory. The results can take up to two days.
Our primary care physicians are dedicated to providing you with state-of-the-art personalized healthcare. If you suspect that you or someone in your family has strep throat. Our dedicated staff members will perform a strep test so you know for sure. Contact us today. Your well-being is our primary concern.