What is Causalgia?
Causalgia is a type of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. It is defined as a severe, intense burning pain. Sufferers experience sensitivity when they’re touched or when their skin feels the slightest vibration. It most commonly expresses itself in the hands or feet and is brought about by trauma.
What causes Causalgia?
- Causalgia is the result of an injury to the peripheral nerves. Your peripheral nerves are the ones that go from your central nervous system to your limbs and organs.
- Causalgia is most often caused by brachial plexus injuries, which are injuries to the nerves that go from your neck to your arms
- Causalgia disrupts the neural signals leading to pain and an increase in the production of the neurotransmitter norepinephrine
What are the symptoms of Causalgia?
- Severe burning in the hands or feet shortly after the injury
- Sensory stimulation of any kind increases the pain
- Blood flow may increase or decrease because of the dilation or constriction of blood vessels
- Causalgia can lead to tapering fingers, coarse hair, hair loss, dry skin, scaly skin, or sweating
Treating and Diagnosing Causalgia
We have years of experience helping causalgia sufferers. We understand the physical and emotional pain this horrific disease causes. It’s not in your head. The pain you are experiencing is real.
The pain that each individual experiences is different, and the treatment that they need is also unique to them. For this reason, we work hard to create a customized treatment plan that will meet your needs.
Our plan starts with us listening to you. We want to hear how you feel, and we want to understand your experience. From there, we will work with you to create a long-term and short-term pain relief treatment plan.
After the first consultation, you will walk away knowing the concrete steps we will take together to help manage and if possible, remove your pain. You do not have to suffer through causalgia alone. Let us use our considerable experience, training, and resources to help you improve your quality of life and reduce your suffering.