Identifying patients with traits that are high risk for drug abuse is becoming important
Prescription opioid abuse has become an epidemic in the United States
Because of this, pain management physicians are faced with finding ways to prevent abuse before it can happen.
An increasingly popular method of detection is patient profiling to determine risk factors.
Critical to identifying those most likely to abuse pain medicines are risk factors such as social dynamics and a patient’s family history.
What are non-pharmacological treatments for chronic pain?
Depending on the severity, location, and length of time you have experienced your chronic pain, we may suggest one or more of the following alternative pain management solutions:
- Acupuncture: This ancient Eastern practice involves inserting several small needles into the skin at different pain centers to change the flow of energy in the body. Acupuncture allows the body to self-heal by releasing energy from main trigger points, thereby reducing or eliminating inflammation, pain, and nausea.
- Chiropractic Treatment: Regular chiropractic adjustments are an attractive method of chronic pain management for patients struggling with neck, spine, and lower back pain.
- Massage Therapy: Deep tissue, Swedish, and hot stone massages are just some of the alternative management techniques we can use to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Physical Therapy: Regular physical therapy sessions help you regain strength in areas weakened by an accident or illness.
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation: We use this low-voltage electric stimulation to relieve pain by connecting two electrodes to the closest nerve fibers.
How can I find out about my risk factors?
The physicians at Texas Pain Relief Group recognize that not every patient fully realizes their own potential for becoming dependent on opioid-based pain medications.
To provide the most complete picture of a patient’s psychological tendancies, our physicians rely on the services of Dr. Michael Carusoof the Texas Health & Counseling Group.